5 Things To Do To Kill Sugar Cravings!
So, you made the commitment to start reducing sugar from your diet… SO AWESOME! We are beyond proud of you!
Now, let’s talk about what to do when those sugar cravings come, because they most likely will. Remember we are kicking an addiction here…
- Set yourself up for success by increasing the healthy fats in your diet. You’re heavily reducing items like carbs from your diet. So you can’t just reduce and expect everything to work out when your body is used to getting a certain amount of food in right? So you should increase another macro. And that should be healthy fats. And if you get plenty of fat in your diet (which we highly doubt) then the next would be protein.
By doing this, you are filling your body with very satiating foods. This allows your body to stay fuller for longer and diminish your cravings.
- Stay BUSY! Most of the time your brain is bored when it’s craving sugar. Keep your mind occupied. Try going for a walk, reading, listening to a podcast, journaling, working, etc… Just keep yourself busy. And avoid mindless eating AKA sitting in front of the TV with an entire bag of chips or pint of ice cream.
- Drink water with electrolytes. And no, we don’t mean Gatorade or Vitamin Water! If you have questions about what are good electrolytes, check out this blog post here (link)
Sugar Cravings are usually another way of your body saying “hey, i’m dehydrated!” so instead of instantly giving into your cravings drink some water instead with electrolytes.
- When none of the above work, there are alternative natural sweeteners that are better than sugar. We used these a lot as we were weaning ourselves off sugar. We would make desserts or add to my coffee. The best natural sweeteners are:
Please note, that these are stepping stones to remove sugar and not something that you should replace sugar with in the long run =)
- Having a couple of berries when you’re craving sugar is not the worst thing to happen. I still eat berries every now and then. Below are grams of sugar in each 1oz. of berry.
- Raspberries = 1.3g
- Blackberries = 1.4g
- Strawberries = 1.4g
- Blueberries = 2.8g
- Bananas = 5.7g
- Apples = 3.0g
- Mangos = 3.7g
Here’s a bonus tip… because we want this to work for you!
Food is not your therapy and it’s not a reward. Once you put this into practice this will also help with your cravings and put food in its place.
No more “I was good, I deserve this”
No more “I’m so upset, I’ll get a nice treat to make myself feel better”
- MORE. Food is a tool and we use it as fuel for our bodies. Detach your emotions from food!
This is no easy journey, and yes, we may seem a bit extreme or hard. But the reality of it is…
Sugar is a DRUG. Sugar is a DRUG. Sugar is a DRUG.
We can’t say it enough, because people just don’t get it.
And they respond, “a little here and there is ok… it’s all about BALANCE”.
Would you tell that to an alcoholic?? We hope not! We shouldn’t say it to people who are addicted to sugar either. We are coaches and we are going to give it to you straight. That “balance” is enabling and we won’t stand for it.
We have been called too extreme in the past, but what we think is extreme is needing Dialysis 3x/week for 4 hours/session. That’s 12 hours/week of your life gone because you like cookies and chips too much.
THAT is extreme and that’s many people’s realities.
It is absolutely possible to eliminate sugar from your diet and it is absolutely something that everyone should do… not only for your own life but for the life of your family and friends. They want you around as long as possible too!
Our Modern Caveman 12 week program removes toxins including sugar from your diet so your body can heal from the symptoms that you’re experiencing! It’s challenging and we have all the tips and tricks to get you sugar free! Check out the program here.
Click here for some of my favorite Low carb and Zero sugar desserts and treats that helped me quit sugar. Stay tuned…and stay strong! YOU GOT THIS! Sign up for our blog and get these value bombs in your inbox!
When cravings come, you can do 5 things to combat them!
- Set yourself up for success by increasing the healthy fats in your diet.
- Stay busy
- Drink water with electrolytes
- When none of the above work, there are alternative natural sweeteners that are better than sugar.
- Have some berries
Kicking sugar is hard, sugar is a drug and you would be removing a drug from your system, treat it as such and you will have success!